Tuesday 4 December 2012

Paper 47- The Killers


Choosing Weapons For THE KILLERS




Abstract (summary)


In an interview, front of house engineer James Gebhard discusses working with the Killers, including: (1) the gear used for the band's 2009 tour; (2) working with the DiGiCo SD7; (3) his favorite plug-ins; (4) the challenges of mixing Killers shows; and (5) the spontaneity of the group. Monitor engineer Clarke LePlante discusses his role in working with the Killers.

Full text


There were excited words on the local street when The Killers' Toronto date was imminent - no surprise, considering the immense popularity of the band and its most recent release Day & Age, featuring the hits "Human" and "Spaceman." While the current tour is hopping through the land down under as of press time, PS caught up with the North American leg at the Air Canada Centre (ACC) for a show that didn't disappoint - fans and live audio types alike.

There are certain key elements to the band's sound that have to come through loud and clear. Certainly, the vocal stylings of frontman Brandon Flowers almost goes without saying, but the music is layered with dance-y synth orchestrations (also courtesy of Flowers), clean, punchy drums, plucky and driving eighth-note bass, and subtly crunchy rhythm guitar interspersed with some crucial, signature hooks.

The gear was supplied by Eighth Day Sound based out of Cleveland, and one notable provision of many was the d&b audiotechnik PA system. This German-based manufacturer seems a bit under the radar in North America, but has seen extensive use in Europe and otherwise internationally. FOH engineer James Gebhard and monitor engineer Clarke LaPlante both gave nods to their DiGiCo desks, which helped them bring their best mixing feet forward.

JAMES GEBHARD AT FOH

Gebhard has been mixing FOH for The Killers since May of 2004, coming over from a gig with The Strokes. After he and the crew from Eighth Day Sound had worked their magic on and above the arena floor, we spoke over a much-needed coffee as the venue went dark.

PS: How did the choice of the d&b audiotechnik system come about?

JG: Eighth Day has quite an inventory, including L-Acoustic dV-DOSC and others, but the J-Series from d&b audiotechnik is pretty fantastic. I was talking to a friend, Bruce Johnston, who is Oasis' FOH guy, and he's just started using it with Oasis. He was very enthusiastic: 'Oh my God, where has this PA been hiding?' I used it last year on a bunch of Killers shows as well, and I was wowed as well, so that's why I wanted it out on this one.

PS: What do you like about it?

JG: Everything. It's fantastic. It's got so much energy; the frequency response is really great. When you look at the logistical side of things (I used to do production for the band as well), you look at how heavy the boxes are and how many of them you need. It's a lot more of a compact system compared to some of our previous choices, and it just takes up so much less space on the truck while doing the same job. When you get a system that does the job, weighs less, and takes up less space, it makes sense all around.

The d&b system is all self-contained, d&b speakers come specifically with d&b D12 amps, which are digital amps. They have pre-loaded crossover points, and you can pre-load it to use any of the d&b speakers - it's just a crossover.

PS: How long have you been working with the DiGiCo SD7?

JG: Three weeks!

PS: Like it?

JG: Amazing! A few glitches on it still, but they are far outweighed by how amazing it is. I'm a big fan of the D5 - I've been touring with the D5 for about five or six years. I love it. I think it's one of the best digital boards out there, and compared to analog boards, it's fantastic. Yes, there is still this whole digital vs. analog debate, but every board has its own characteristics, whether it's analog or digital, and I just find that with the digital stuff, they've just nailed it. DiGiCo's digital boards stand alongside Midas' analog consoles as far as I'm concerned.

I went and played on the SD7 in the summer when I was at home; I had a bit of time off, and the DiGiCo people invited me down. I took a bunch of recordings I had with me, and they had set it up so I could play back through a PA. I played the three multi-tracks from recorded shows, played with the desk, and just said 'Wow!'

PS: What else do you have at FOH, in terms of outboard, etc?

JG: On the left-hand side, there's a multi-track recording machine. Next to that is the computer that's just for running SmaartLive so we can get all our time alignments. On my side (right), the big red box is my Mac recording machine. I record and also do some effects on the Mac as well.

PS: What are your favourite plug-ins?

JG: I run everything through Logic, so I use all the Logic native plug-ins. I have a couple of effects units as well. The effects on the SD7 will get finalized on the next software update because it's not yet completely finished. Some of the effects on there weren't quite what I needed, so I was running some of them in my outboard - but that's all changed to Logic. Unfortunately, my computer wasn't ready in rehearsal, so I couldn't do everything I wanted to in the rehearsal phase.

PS: What are the challenges of mixing a Killers show?

JG: How many inputs there are! There are just under 80 channels coming from the stage, depending on which song or album the band is doing: songs from Hot Fuss usually have about 24 channels, stuff from Sam's Town can be up to 50, and tunes from the new album can be up to 70 channels all at once. It's about having to jump from song to song and not letting the old songs sound very empty compared to the new songs. You have to keep them full, even though what is actually going on is a lot simpler. That can be quite complicated in a way - how the mix evolves from song to song - you have to be very careful.

PS: What kind of feedback do you get from the band?

JG: We multi-track record every song at every show, so if the bandmembers want to come and listen to what's going on, I just fire up that show, play it back, and just mix the recordings of the live show. They then say yea or nay. Like today - (drummer) Ronny Vannucci came out to listen to some drum stuff, and I had been messing around with "This Is Your Life," and I just wanted to see what his thoughts were. He said, 'Wow! Brilliant. Perfect.'

PS: Do you try to gauge authence reaction?

JG: You can't do that (laughs). It's great when the crowd goes wild, but it all depends on how drunk they are by the end of the night, as far as I'm concerned.

PS: How spontaneous is the band?

JG: Within the structure of the songs, not so much. With how they will change the set and what they want to play, definitely, which can be hard. Like last night in Detroit, we had the set list, the digital board with all my snapshots all lined up, and each song's all set and ready to go. The band switched set lists around all of a sudden, with no warning! You're on the wrong snapshot, and suddenly you either just go with it or fire off another snapshot off. It keeps you on your toes.

PS: Did the SD7's functionality help?

JG: It's fast anyway. It's pretty much the same as what the D5 was, in terms of how all the snapshots work. It's a bit more involved if you want it to be, but it's pretty much the same - just one touch and it's gone.

GETTING THE GROOVES TO THE VICTIMS

Heading over to the stage, one notices a backline draped with nets of LEDs - a side note, but a very cool visual effect nonetheless - and a large variety of mies from a cross-section of reputable manufacturers. Gebhard had told me they were "the best buys for the best job, really," and the mixture of mie specs shows some choosiness. There are Audio-Technica mies for the drums, with a Shure 8eta57 on the snare and a couple of Earthworks overheads. The guitar amps are picked up by Shure KSM32s, and there are Electro-Voice RE20s on the bass enclosures. Vocals come through Shure Beta 58As.

There are numerous Radial Engineering DIs present, and I'm told the band's guitar tech has a friend who makes custom valve DIs that caused some excitement up front.

CLARKE LAPLANTE AT MONITOR MORLD

I find monitor engineer Clarke LaPlante at his position stage left, a veteran from Plattsburg, NY who was recruited for The Killers by Gebhard four years ago. It's been a fun ride, and he wears a couple hats on this gig.

PS: Does the band use IEMs?

CL: (Vocalist) Brandon Flowers and (bassist) Mark Stoermer are still strictly on wedges and side-fills. Everybody else is using Ultimate Ears UE 7s, and we're using the Sennheiser G2s to transmit.

PS: Do you have a wireless tech?

CL: No, I handle it, and one of the guys that is out with us from Eighth Day, Chris, was doing RF with Madonna last year, so if I run into trouble, I pick his brain a little bit. It usually works out pretty well. I've kept on top of that stuff, and I get the scanner out every morning to juggle frequencies, etc.

PS: Are there any frequency issues in the ACC tonight?

CL: It's not too bad today - I mean, Toronto is a tough town, and I don't have a lot of information on it, but I am able to find places where I can sneak in. I'm actually getting more trouble from the LED wall, but that's been an ongoing issue.

PS: What does everyone want in his mix, and how picky does everybody get?

CL: Nothing is too out of the ordinary. The guitar player does like a lot of drums, sometimes more drums than guitar, but that goes back to when he was on wedges - he always liked hearing the drums. Everything else is pretty standard. Brandon likes a lot of vocal and his keyboards, and some of the other stuff that is going on. Mark takes a ton of bass and drums. Each musician wants to hear himself, pretty much, with a little bit of everybody else.

PS: Do you really have to watch for cues?

CL: As things have progressed. I didn't really start using snapshots until this tour. I started a little bit over the summer. It's to the point now where I have a snapshot for each song. Some songs you have a couple of them: if there's an intro, or something changes on a downbeat. There are some things that I handle manually. There are a couple of snapshots that I use for cues. Usually, the band is pretty good about keeping to the set list. The guys did throw us the other night - they dropped one in the middle of the set. I caught it in time, but otherwise you'd have to ask James (laughing).

PS: What's special about the D5 for you?

CL: At this point, it is consistency. I was using one for most of the last tour, and I'm really comfortable with it and I know what it can do. Right now, I'm kind of stretching its capabilities. The next step for me is probably going to be an SD7. 1 just wanted to let them get the initial bugs worked out because we have so many inputs, and I have so many mixes going on. James has had a couple of minor glitches out front with his, and I just didn't want to take any chances.

PS: How many inputs are there?

CL: Seventy-seven off the stage. I'm running seven in-ear mixes and 10 conventional mixes - 11 with a drum sub. It's a lot.

PS: How does that affect your workflow?

CL: It takes a good bit of planning and preproduction. The guys at Eighth Day are really good with their prep. They showed up to rehearsal, and everything was pretty much dialed in. Day to day, I come in, have breakfast, look at the RF, and do my cleaning chores. Once the monitor desk goes up, I start working on the room and seeing what things are going to be an issue that day. You should really listen as things are being built in the room because you can hear some of the acoustic characteristics as the work is going on.

PS: Do you have any favourite plug-ins or effects that you rely on?

CL: What I'm doing is pretty basic effect-wise: just a little bit of reverb in the wedges for the vocals and some room things for the in-ears, just to put some things like the violin or acoustic guitar in spaces.

PS: Have you heard from the bandmembers why they went with the '58 for the vocal mics and haven't gone wireless?

CL: That's pretty much Brandon's choice. He's used a Beta58 as long as I've worked for the band. James and I have both tried to get them on something else, but he's just very comfortable with that mie, and he knows how to work it. I've trained him a little bit over the last few years with regards to that because he does like to cup it and get that snarly, in-your-face sound out of it. As for everybody else, we've stuck with it for consistency.

PS: How is the volume on stage?

CL: Oh, it's loud (laughing). It's really loud.

PS: Does that present any issues for you?

CL: At this point, I know what to expect and what things should sound like. James and I work pretty well together. As a result of it being loud on stage, James has to compensate for that up front. It's a pretty loud show all over.

PS: I guess I'll find out tonight.

CL: Yes, you certainly will.

EULOGY

And find out I did. What seemed like a veiled threat from LaPlante turned out to be a great listening experience. It's a polished show, and the audio crew's no-muss-no-fuss attitude gave the authence what it wanted - The Killers listenable, danceable, and fun. As far as I know, we all got out alive.

Indexing (details)


Narrow subject


Broad subject


People


Company


Title

Choosing Weapons For THE KILLERS

Author


Publication title


Volume


Issue

2

Pages

30-33

Publication year

2009

Publication date

Apr 2009

Year

2009

Publisher

Norris-Whitney Communications Inc

Place of publication

St. Catharines, Ont.

Country of publication

Canada

Journal subject


ISSN

1186-1797

Source type

Magazines

Language of publication

English

Document type

Interview

Document feature

Photographs

ProQuest document ID

756573121

Document URL

http://search.proquest.com/docview/756573121?accountid=144516

Last updated

2012-09-17

Database
International Index to Music Periodicals Full Text

No comments:

Post a Comment